About Me

My photo
I currently go to Texas State in San Marcos but I live in Austin. I just can't get away from the beautiful city! I love to go running around town lake. I nanny out towards westlake and enjoy being out on the lake atleast once a week. I am a very proud Texan and it will always have a big piece of my heart. I am the "Next Generation Left" on the political ideology quiz. My father growing up worked for Roger Williams and that is the closest I am to being influenced or having political experience. I am taking this course to learn more about Texas and the government to have a good understanding before I officially vote. I did alright on both quizzes, but would like to better my knowledge in Texas government.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Plastic Bag Ban

I recently read the blog post Plastic Bag Ban: A gateway to a greater environmental protection by one of my classmates.  I would have to say I agree 100% with her argument and believe that Austin should band plastic bags.  I feel so strongly about this because I saw first hand of how the bags are polluting our beautiful city.  It was a couple of weeks ago and I  went for my morning run along town lake.  I ended up walking because I was astonished at how much pollution was all over the lake in just one night.  There were bags, Styrofoam, and plastic bottles everywhere.

I will be the first one to say that it is a pain to always recycle and bring your plastic bags to the store.  I agree that if we start to recycle and bring our own bags  it makes a small step to making our city more environmentally friendly.  I liked how this article goes into detail about all the environmental issues our world has and how we can make a difference.  It allows the readers to get an idea of how bad pollution really is for our country.  

Furthermore, I thoroughly enjoyed the view they give the readers by providing a quote from The Bluebonnet State. 

“Discussing the topic of a greener city or state seems just perfect doesn’t it? Why stop at plastic bags then? Why not ban plastic bottles or milk cartons or everything else that harms the society. I find it difficult to understand that in a world where cigarettes can’t be banned even though they are a health hazard, there is banning of something as small as a plastic bag.” 

This quote allowed me to think in a different perspective about how we shouldn't stop at just banning bags and that the world needs to start making small changes.  I agree that even though banning plastic bags is very minor it could start an environmental movement.  This article really persuaded me to be more environmentally friendly and not complain when I have to bring my own bag.  I liked how they underline and bold certain words to create an emphasis of what they are trying to state.  I think that this article was very informative and used links to back up what they were stating which makes them creditable. I think the intended audience was for all of their fellow Austinites.  I can only hope that more people start to be more environmentally friendly to keep our city beautiful.  


No comments:

Post a Comment