About Me

My photo
I currently go to Texas State in San Marcos but I live in Austin. I just can't get away from the beautiful city! I love to go running around town lake. I nanny out towards westlake and enjoy being out on the lake atleast once a week. I am a very proud Texan and it will always have a big piece of my heart. I am the "Next Generation Left" on the political ideology quiz. My father growing up worked for Roger Williams and that is the closest I am to being influenced or having political experience. I am taking this course to learn more about Texas and the government to have a good understanding before I officially vote. I did alright on both quizzes, but would like to better my knowledge in Texas government.

Friday, August 1, 2014

Education Bust

I recently read, "One Land, Under Six Flags," article about education issues.  I agree that our education system in Texas does need some sort of reform. Art is being taken out of schools which to me is a big deal.  I recently took an art education class at Texas State University and was blown away by how important art is.

Most children today don't get art past 6th grade.  As I researched for why art matters I came across something amazing.  Most blue ribbon schools integrate art into the classroom which helps improve teaching and student learning.  As a future teacher, I have realized that using art to create a different way of teaching is what is going to allow my students be outstanding.

Furthermore,  I would have to disagree about the textbook situation that Sierra describes .If a child is always learning facts from a textbook they will simply get bored.   I think schools should do away with textbooks all together.  It is the teachers job to stay on top of facts and make sure what they are teaching is correct.  Textbooks are so expensive for any situation especially college students.  I believe that a good teacher finds alternative ways to teach the facts without using a textbook.  If K-12 did not use textbooks it would save our schools a lot of money.  I think that the teacher should have a textbook and if something is important she should print the students a copy or have them write it down.

Lastly, I do agree that the state needs to do something to help reform our schools instead of making cuts.  I couldn't imagine teaching 40 kids in one classroom and trying to manage them all.   We as Texans need to find ways to fund our schools and other programs that are needed to help the school succeed.  I think that Sierra's article was very well thought out, but would like to see links with statistics. I am curious about students to teacher ratio and the cuts the legislator is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment