About Me

My photo
I currently go to Texas State in San Marcos but I live in Austin. I just can't get away from the beautiful city! I love to go running around town lake. I nanny out towards westlake and enjoy being out on the lake atleast once a week. I am a very proud Texan and it will always have a big piece of my heart. I am the "Next Generation Left" on the political ideology quiz. My father growing up worked for Roger Williams and that is the closest I am to being influenced or having political experience. I am taking this course to learn more about Texas and the government to have a good understanding before I officially vote. I did alright on both quizzes, but would like to better my knowledge in Texas government.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Complicated Situation on the Border

I read an editorial by Cynthia Allen called "It's a complicated situation on the Texas border," that was very eye opening.   She takes a very middle approach and discusses all of the different aspects to consider.  She talks about how allowing children and mothers to come across the border with a "free pass" isn't always the smartest idea.  She explains that they come into the country without any education and not being able to speak the language which makes it harder for them to succeed.  Not being able to succeed can cause the children to get into gangs or make them vulnerable.  I agree with her when she says that we as citizens have every right to be charitable and help the immigrants without undermining their own principals of the law.  The audience she is trying to reach is the people wanting to give charity to the immigrants.  She wants them to realize that being charitable can help them for a small amount of time.  She claims  that we have much bigger issues than providing aid to our friends across the border.  We as a country could be aiding in sex trafficking and drug cartel if we allow the immigrants to come over.  As someone who has read several books about sex trafficking I understand that this is a big issue that most citizens don't take into account.   She also claims that we as citizens should not be protesting against the immigrants crossing the border but that our elected leaders should be enforcing the law.  I agree with her that they should be enforcing the law but that their should be exceptions and each person should be screened before coming in.   Throughout her entire piece she has embedded links to provide evidence for what she is trying to claim. Some of her links are other editorials and some of them are actual facts or statistics.  I think she should has 75% credibility for providing some facts other than editorials.  Although the crisis is complicated and does not have the proper enforcement I agree with some of her claims.  I think that a child should only be allowed to the United States if were involved with any kind of abuse or sex traffiking.  If after so many months they cannot provide for themselves and get on their feet they must go back across the border.  Therefore, I agree with her when she claims that most Texans are okay with the complicated border crisis because at this point most citizens don't really know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment